You may apply if you meet the following three requirements:
- You have completed by 31 July 2019 a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January 2019. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You are able to demonstrate your proficiency in English. For further instructions on demonstrating your proficiency in English, see the section “Required attachments”.
If you are currently or have previously been a student at the University of Helsinki, please note the following rules.
If you have refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, and you do not have the official documents to prove your eligibility to apply for higher education, you can still apply to the University of Helsinki.
You may be admitted if
- You prove your eligibility (see above) by the deadline
- You submit the application in Studyinfo.fi and the required attachments within the specified deadline. The application form is open from 3 December 2018 (8:00h Finnish time) to 11 January 2019 (15:00h Finnish time). Read more about what will happen after the application period.
- You have completed a sufficient amount of academic studies suitable to the field of the Master’s Programme in Food Sciences.
Please note: even if the degree you are using as grounds for application is not completed during the application round, you must have a sufficient amount of applicable studies completed by 11 January 2019.
The applicability of the field and the sufficiency of the completed studies will be evaluated in conjunction with admission. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
Choosing the language of your Master’s degree
In the Master’s Programme in Food Sciences, you can choose the language of your degree to be Finnish, Swedish or English. This means that even though most of the teaching will be offered in English, you can answer examination questions and write course assignments and your Master’s thesis in the language that you select as the language of the degree. Please note that you can apply to pursue this Master’s programme in one language only and you must demonstrate your language skills accordingly. You must select the language of your degree when submitting your application.
The Master’s Programme in Food Sciences admits no more than 20 students; maximum of 10 students to complete the degree in English and maximum of 10 students to complete the degree in Finnish or Swedish.
Factors affecting admissions
Applicants to the Master’s Programme in Food Sciences must have completed a sufficient amount of studies applicable to the discipline of the Master’s programme. The studies included in the degree serving as grounds for application to the programme, or the studies completed in addition to that degree, must be applicable and appropriate to the master’s programme and its disciplines in terms of both content and the applicant’s performance so as to provide sufficient knowledge and skills for master’s studies.
The following factors will be taken into consideration in admission decisions: the suitability of applicants’ previous studies for the Master’s programme, success in previous studies suitable for the Master’s programme, and motivation.
Applications are academically assessed and scored, with emphasis on the above factors in the following order:
- Suitability of previous studies for the prospective master’s programme
- Success in previous studies suitable for the prospective master’s programme
You must receive at least the minimum score required for each area of assessment. If you do not receive the minimum score required for a specific area, the subsequent area(s) will not be scored.
If you apply for more than one Master’s programme at the University of Helsinki Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in this master’s application process, you must rank them in order of preference on the application form. If you meet the criteria for admission to more than one Master’s programme at the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, you can only be admitted to the programme ranked the highest on your application.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by email by 12 April 2019 at the latest. Please note the one study place per term provision if you are applying for more than one study programme in spring 2019.
Study right to be awarded
If granted admission, you will receive the right to pursue the degree of Master of Food Sciences in the Master’s Programme in Food Sciences.
Statistics on applicants can be found on the University’s webpage.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents, and the documents must be submitted as instructed below:
- Official photocopy of the degree certificate/diploma
- Official transcript
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Authorised translations into English, Finnish or Swedish
- A photocopy of your passport, your official identity card or your Finnish residence permit card
- Motivation letter, which you will write on the application form
- Diploma supplement (if available)
1) Read carefully the instructions on application enclosures and their submission.
2) You must demonstrate your proficiency in English. Read the instructions on proving your language skills.
3) If the degree serving as grounds for application to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/diploma. NB! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2019 at the latest.
|Due date||11.1.2019, 15:00|
Admission Services, University of Helsinki