To encourage postgraduate research at Victoria, the University offers scholarships to students about to begin a full-time, research-focused Master’s degree.
See more opportunities in the UK available on For9a
- Applications are sought from those who are eligible at the time of application, or who will have become eligible at the start of Trimester 2 the following year, to enroll for a Master’s degree by thesis worth 90 points or more. In some cases this will be Part 2 of a two-year Master’s degree and will usually have the course code 591.
- Applicants undertaking a 180 point Master’s degree will not be eligible for this scholarship.
- Applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree Part 1 demonstrating academic achievement equivalent to a First-Class Honors degree from a New Zealand University.
- Scholarships will be awarded solely on the basis of academic merit by the University Research Scholarships Committee, a sub-committee of the University Research Committee.
See more opportunities in Australia available on For9a.
Amount of Scholarship:
- The scholarship comprises a $15,000 tax-free stipend, plus tuition fees for one year (domestic fees for the thesis component only). Fees will be paid directly to the University by the Scholarships Office. International students other than those from Australia will be liable to pay the difference between the full international student fee and the domestic fee.
- The scholarship stipend will be paid to each scholarship recipient in monthly installments. The first such payment will be made by the Scholarships Office as soon as practicable after confirmation of enrolment. A small allowance of up to $200 will be paid towards the cost of producing the thesis in receipt of an invoice. Entitlement to this allowance will lapse if it is not taken within two years of the date of enrolment.
See more available exchange programs on For9a
Conditions and Acknowledgement:
- The Scholar shall be enrolled in a full-time postgraduate program and shall abide by the statutes, policies and procedures of Victoria University of Wellington (the University).
- The Scholar will be expected to work full time on the research that is required to complete the qualification (please note that for the terms of this contract full time is considered to be at least 35 hours per week).
- The Scholar acknowledges that conferment of the postgraduate degree can be withheld if the Scholar is otherwise in breach of the University’s statutes, policies and procedures or of this contract.
- Approval must be obtained from the University Research Scholarships Committee before any period of leave is taken, other than reasonable annual holiday leave. This includes any period the Scholar needs to spend overseas to undertake research relating to the approved programme or research.
- The Scholar must advise the Scholarships Manager immediately of any suspension or withdrawal from full time study in the approved programme or research, any change of supervisor, the date of submission of the Scholar’s thesis and any change or address or telephone number.
- The Scholar must apply to the University Research Scholarships Committee for permission to hold paid employment during the tenure of this scholarship. Permission will normally be granted only for employment as a teaching or research assistant in an area that is directly related to the Scholar’s field of research, and for no more than 600 hours in any one calendar year.
- The Scholar shall reimburse the University for any money paid to the Scholar by the University subsequent to the date of any suspension and/or withdrawal from full time study in the approved programme of research.
- Should the Scholar withdraw from the research programme, the Scholar may be required to repay the University for the full scholarship money paid to the Scholar by the University during the tenure of the Scholarship.
- The Scholar agrees to complete the University scheduled progress reports during the tenure of the scholarship, outlining their progress to date.
- The Scholar acknowledges that any failure by the Scholar to make satisfactory academic progress in the approved programme of research, any breech of this contract or University statutes, policies and procedure, may result in the Scholarship being terminated at any time and/or the Scholar being required to pay the University for part or all of the Scholarship money paid to the Scholar during the tenure of the Scholarship, at the sole discretion of the University Research Scholarships Committee.
- The Scholar acknowledges that any change to the agreed research topic will need the approval of their primary supervisor. Such approval will be considered in consultation with the Scholarship Funder, taking into account the extent to which the Scholarship was originally awarded for a particular area of research. If this is not approved, scholarship funds may be withdrawn.
- The Scholar acknowledges that their completed thesis (or any other final piece of work required to complete their approved programme of research) must be submitted to Victoria University of Wellington for examination.
See more available Fellowships on For9a